Lab Mechanician (8653C) #23006
Lawrence Hall of Science
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: April 6, 2017
The Lawrence Hall of Science is UC Berkeley's public science center. We have been providing parents, kids, and educators with opportunities to engage with science since 1968. Our mission is to inspire and foster learning of science and mathematics for all, especially those who have limited access to science. We investigate, create, and evaluate educational materials and methods, professional development programs, and hands-on learning experiences for our science center, schools, communities, and homes.
Incumbent serves as a museum fabrication professional in the Lawrence Hall of Science shop. Works closely with other team members to help generate solutions to interactive exhibit and educational materials challenges. Fabricate, install, repair and maintain the cleanliness and functionality of interactive science education experiences for the museum exhibit galleries, classrooms and learning labs. Provide journeyman level mechanical, carpentry, electronics, plastics and metal work on projects with a variety of tools, processes, and materials. General departmental tasks including exhibit turn-on/shut down, forklift operation, maintenance of storage areas, maintenance of shop area including tools and machinery, maintenance and proper use of safety equipment.
Journeyman skill level in wood, metal, welding, electrical, electronic and plastics, including prototyping and experience with CNC equipment.
- Aptitude in troubleshooting/re-designing/repairing electromechanical devices.
- Minimum 3 years experience using complex fabrication processes.
- Working knowledge of engineering principles and methods in order to perform professional design work of limited scope and complexity.
- Proven ability to work in a collaborative solution-based way within a mission-driven family learning environment, providing excellent customer service for both visitors and colleagues.
- Organizational abilities and decision-making skills to prioritize work assignments within established guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to interact effectively with both colleagues and a diverse family learning audience.
- Ability to foster a collaborative work environment with a multi-disciplinary team, and to assist in identifying any challenges or barriers to this environment.
-Bachelor's degree in related area or equivalent experience.
- Standard work week includes one weekend day, holiday work required.
-Valid California Driver's License.
-Background check required
- Prior experience in an interactive Museum, Science Center or Educational Environment
- Prior customer service experience an active family environment
Salary & Benefits
Hourly rate is $26.97 - $31.01 depending on experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
CLICK HERE TO APPLY NOW
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency