The Department of Surgery, Plastic Surgery section is seeking a Research Laboratory Technician Associate to work primarily in outcomes research in the field of hernia repair and regenerative medicine.
Self-motivated and extremely organized individual sought for a research technician associate position in a basic science/translational laboratory in the Skeletal Tissue Engineering laboratory, Biomedical Science Research Building, Molecular & Integrative Physiology department, University of Michigan. Our laboratory focuses on the fabrication and utilization of scaffold-less engineered tissues.
The technician will assist the PI, the lab manager, and graduate students in research projects by preparing materials and reagents for tissue culture based projects, inventory and ordering laboratory supplies, organizing and assisting in surgeries, pre and post-operative care of sheep, fabrication of tissues, in vitro and ex-vivo testing of the mechanical properties of tissues, histological analysis of tissues.
Overview: This position is responsible for performing a broad range of laboratory and research related tasks: Duties include running project specific aims protocols and assisting in writing manuscripts for publication. Collect and tabulate research data and perform library research on specific topics in the discipline of craniofacial surgery. Assist in the statistical analysis of collected data. Prepare materials for reports, clinical papers, and grants written by faculty. The selected candidate will be involved in writing grants and manuscripts
- Inventory and ordering of laboratory supplies and equipment
- Maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Preparation of solutions and media
- Maintaining Aliquot stocks
- Accurate record keeping
- Preparation of surgical materials/personnel
- Assisting surgeon with surgical procedures
- Pre and post-operative monitoring of animals, drug administration, TPR assessment
- Biomechanical assessment of tissues
- Histology sample preparation (freezing, fixing, sectioning)
- Immunohistochemistry and staining of samples
- Harvesting and culture of cells from animals
- Cell and tissue culture
- RNA isolation and PCR analysis
- Computer skills – Word, Excel, Powerpoint, MathLab,
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 1 year of experience in a laboratory setting
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Flexible work hours and days
- Experience with handling animals in a laboratory and surgical setting
- Previous laboratory experience in biomechanics of soft tissue and histology
- Animal surgical and dissection experience
- Histology, including cryo-sectioning, staining procedures, immunohistochemistry
- Cell and tissue culture
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong writing ability are required.
- Experience in assessing biomechanical testing of ligament tissue using MTS equipment
Master's degree or higher in a biomedical science field
Hours: 40 hours, full-time
Shift: Monday through Friday, 8AM – 5 PM, some evening and weekend hours will be necessary
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.